Thursday, September 17, 2009

Red Oak

Red Oak. Hm what can I say. We moved to Red Oak when I was 7 years old. I remember the drive from Virginia to Iowa. I was so happy because my mom got me fruit by the foot as a snack in the van. Its funny how happy I was by the simpliest things when I was that age.

Even though we only lived in Red Oak for 2 years I feel like thats when my eyes were opened to the fact that I didnt have the perfect family that I once thought I did. My brothers were in high school and while one thrived the other was failing and barely holding on. Lee Jr became side tracked by girls, his friends, being "cool", and completely lost his focus. Things at home werent the best and I think it made him search for comfort somewhere else.

When he met Karla his heart was completely wrapped up in her. She clouded every thought he had and he couldnt see straight.

I remember hearing my parents arguing. "what are we going to do?" my mom said "how do we fix this Lee?" Karla was sixteen and pregnant. Lee was eighteen and not going to graduate high school. "they will get married and we will do what we have to... he will join the military and do what he can with what he has," my dad said. My mother pleaded with the principal to let Lee graduate so that he could join the military and somehow make a future for his new instant family. Her begging must have worked because soon we were attending his graduation and next his wedding.

My father got a new job opportunity in Des Moines and he accepted it. I think we were all thinking that this was great, our unperfect family had a chance to start fresh and make a new stronger start. Lee Jr stayed with Karla and her family, and the rest of us made our way to the big city of Des Moines.

In true Iowa fashion we moved into a old farm house. We all had our own rooms and I remember this feeling of its all going to be ok. Then my sister came in and said try and be good dad is in one of his moods.

His moods were never a good thing. There were times in Red Oak I feared that one of us was going to end up dead or at the very least really injured from one of his moods.

The next blog might make you sad it might make you angry but its an important part of my story and it needs to be said in order for you to understand what happens next in my life.

Til next time thanks for reading,
~Stephanie~

No comments:

Post a Comment